Kitchens are the heart of any home, so you don’t want to skip a beatwith our ultimate kitchen installation timeline guide.
Most frequent questions and answers
Steel Joinery Design
Customised designs are the only style of steel door we make. We are a small business and focus on tailored solutions for individual needs.
We primarily partner with industry professionals like architects, interior designers and builders who would provide in the first instance complete specifications to quote from.
WHAT IF I AM NOT AN INDUSTRY PROFESSIONAL?
If you are not an industry professional and the scope of your project is too small to warrant using an architect or designer, it is entirely attainable for you to do your own homework to gather enough of this similar information. Additionally, send a reference image you found on the net: “a picture paints a thousand words”.
Regardless of your level of experience, we require all clients to fully complete our enquiry form plus ensure all of the following information is provided in drawings:
- top and front/elevation views
- position of mullions (cross bars)
- configuration of openings (hinges, sliding tracks, fixed panels, etc)
Due to a large amount of sales requests, we have a strict policy of not pricing projects until all information is completed.
Door schedule example
There are limited bi-fold hardware products available in the Australian marketplace in which we are confident to endorse.
We are currently researching and prototyping a small sample of hardware brands for bi-fold steel door configurations.
Sign up to our newsletter for updates as to when they become available.
Yes, we can.
If you are budget-conscious, we recommend using steel joinery for the featured areas of your home and consider other options for the utilitarian areas.
Steel joinery delivery & installation
Our first step in our quoting process is to use your provided measurements using our request form.
Once you have confirmed the job and paid the deposit:
- if we are installing the job: we have already allowed in our pricing for travel time to measure up accurately onsite.
- if we are not installing the job: we rely on accurate final measurements from your builder or carpenter. If your site is in the Byron Shire, we may be able to measure up onsite depending on the scale of the job and our workload.
Due to the incredibly high demand of this product, it is highly recommended you contact us as soon as you receive your finalised architectural plans.
We do not mass produce nor pre-fabricate our joinery. We manufacture everything from scratch so lead times may take 2+ months from point of accepting the quote, however this may be negotiated upon and subject to product selections, scale, our workload and your own deadline.
Best practice is confirming your job by paying a deposit during the first stage of construction which will lock in your job.
Read more: our COVID business update
If you do not require installation, we can offer an Australia-wide third-party freight company to transport goods or you can organise your own collection from our Mullumbimby workshop.
Delivery is included our installation estimates.
Our workshop is in Mullumbimby, near Byron Bay, Northern NSW.
Our staff can travel to install
- within a two-hour drive from our workshop e.g. (Brisbane, Coffs Harbour)
- in cities directly connected to Ballina-Byron Airport (or Gold Coast Airport subject to COVID-related border restrictions)
All delivery and installation by our staff may incur fees that relate to:
- vehicle, travel and/or freight expenses,
- staff/contractor time charged on an hourly rate, and/or
- accommodation and meal expenses (subject to installation duration and distance from our workshop)
We do not recommend DIY or handyman installation.
You can arrange your own experienced and qualified builder or carpenter to install on your behalf. A minimum of two people is required for installation.
- Bolts, screws and all accessories will come with your frames
- Ancillary supporting frames and packaging may be included where deemed appropriate
- Glazing is optional. Clients may have access to their own local glass shop. Please specify this upon quoting
- Installation tools
- Installation instructions are not included but we can give your experienced tradesman advice, if required
Steel Joinery FINANCIALS
Steel joinery is to most tastes and often not to most budgets. There are three main reasons why our products fetch a high price, especially when drawing comparisons to other metal joinery products.
- We only offer the highest standard of craftsmanship. We present a solutions-based, holistic approach to design and fabrication. This is evident in the detail of our work and supported by our reputation.
- We only make custom steel joinery that is unique and tailored for luxury architectural and heritage remediation projects. We do not manufacture off-the-shelf products.
- Steel is overall an expensive commodity (don’t forget to allow for the cost of glass on top).
Secondary factors to consider with custom steel joinery
- Size of frames
- Design details
- Finishes including paint, hardware systems, handles, glazing
- Manufacturing hours
- Economy of scale
We do not make standard products, therefore, we do not issue standard prices. If you like to receive a price for your bespoke project, please fully complete this enquiry form.
Why is your price different to other quotes?
We find that pricing against others is often a case of not comparing apples with apples. Please consider if other quotes detail:
- Custom manufacturing vs mass production
- Steel vs aluminium glazing beads
- Australian made
- Reputation and quality control
- Glazing and hardware inclusions
- Technical levels of frames
We offer competitive pricing for steel doors and windows and will soon be offering three different framing options within our steel joinery range to suit every clients’ needs.
If you are not sure 100% sure about the details in your quotes, please email them to us for comparison.
We stagger all our progress payments as follows:
- 50% of in-house materials and manufacturing costs, security deposit, time spent quoting and preparing your job. Due upon confirmation of booking. This is non-refundable.
- 50% of in-house materials and manufacturing costs. Due upon completion of in-house manufacturing and prior to delivery.
- 100% of delivery costs. If applicable, due before delivery.
- 100% of installation costs + variations. If applicable, due upon completion of installation.
The abovementioned payments may be subject to further payment increments, (i.e., weekly progress, variations, etc.) if we deem the job large.
Information is key. The more information we have, the more definitive we are in our pricing for our customised products.
We will provide a quote with a firm price once all information is at hand.
We will provide an estimate if we have most of the information yet still lacks minor details. Estimates may present as a price range as we are making a budgetary allowance for variations which still need to be confirmed at a later point.
If you still do not have enough information for us to do estimate, we will postpone pricing until enough information is gathered.
Customised steel doors and windows are to most tastes but not necessarily to all budgets.
We are here to have an open conversation about finding solutions for each clients’ requirements. Fitting into budget ranges is a critical part of the equation. We offer a range of product options and if we do not know how much has been allowed (or not allowed) in budgets, we will not know how to find the right solution.